Čakovec is an interesting city to visit, situated in northern Croatia, located around 90 kilometres north of Zagreb, the Croatian capital. Čakovec is both the county seat and the largest city of Međimurje County, the northernmost, smallest and most densely populated Croatian county.
It is a twin city of among others Polish Plonsk, Hungarian Nagykanizsa and Szigetvar and Bulgarian Baloevgrad.
In the 13th century, King Bela IV of Hungary decided to build a new fort in Medimurje. People settled near the fort and a new town was founded. City had various governors including the influential Croatian Zrinski family. They ornamented the settlement with parks and monuments, and the fort became their renaissance palace. Even today, it is called Stari Grad Zrinskih (“The Old Town of Zrinski”).
A medieval fortification situated in the middle of the town in the Zrinski park. It was built in the 13th century. It is partially renovated at this moment
Throughout the city there are many interesting buildings, some of them still unfortunately in bad condition.
This town is definitely famous for baroque architecture especially in the city center. The Franciscan Order constructed St. Nicholas Parish Church and rebuilt their monastery next to it in the 18th century. The town’s two main squares (Trg Republike and Franjevacki Trg) are connected with King Tomislav’s street, which features many houses from the late 18th and 19th centuries.
Floral development forms an important element of the city. The main promenade, known as the green heart of Cakovec, has century-old trees surrounded by colorful plants.
In 2008 Cakovec received the title of “Croatia’s most regulated continental town.”
Zgrada Doma sindikata – Trgovački casino
Looking so different than the rest of the buildings in Cakovec. Built in 1903 in a ‘Hungarian Secession’ style is located in the city center. Definitely worth visiting! This building was constructed in 1903 as a place of gathering for the middle classes. Apart from a cards room and a place for other parlour games, the building accommodated a special withdrawing room for ladies, a reading room and a dance room. From 1966 to 1986, part of the building was used as a library and reading room. Since the end of World War II, the building has been better known as the headquarters of the Trades Unions
When in Čakovec
Do not miss the cultural and tourism event Porcijynkulovo which is going to be held this year for the 54th time.
More info here: https://www.porcijunkulovo.com
See the video about the prepartion for the 2018 edition, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFK-d4t6Gek
Photos:© Copyright www.communications-unlimited.nl, 2018. All rights reserved.