Chochołów is a charming Polish village situated about 15 km from Zakopane, a famous town in southern Poland, in the Tatras region/Podhale region. It is famous for traditional, old Polish wooden houses (góralskie chaty) built by the Polish highlanders. The history of Chocholow stems from the 16th century.
It is also known as the place of Chochołów Uprising of 1846 ( Powstanie chocholowskie) against the foreign oppression throughout the nineteenth century: Habsburg Austrian Partition of Poland.
It is a quiet village located at the Czarny Dunajec stream which offers an iddylic landscape, historic food for thought and great activities for active visitors and whole families.
What to see:
- Church of St. Jack in Chochołów – a beautiful Neo-Gothic building from the second half of the 19th century, standing in the central part of the village. The temple was built at the site of an earlier wooden church. In front of the church stands a stone obelisk commemorating the Chochołowskie Uprising.
- Museum of Chochołów Uprising- located in a historic highland cottage right opposite the church, among the collections are presented not only those related to the uprising, but also to the history, ethnography and culture of Podhale: the Tatra’s region.
- The wooden houses in Chochołów – located on both sides of the main road. They create an unforgettable atmosphere as if it was a living open air museum. The wooden house: Chałupa z jednej jedli ( from one fir) is worth visiting. Its front wall was created more than hundred years ago from one piece of fir.
- The attractive surroundings of Chochołowa – Podhale is a wonderful region, already in the vicinity of Chochołów, you can go on hiking trails in the surrounding hills and peaks visit the famous valley – Chochołowska named after Chochołów, Kościeliska valley or Tatra peaks.
- Chocholowskie termy: the largest in Podhale modern thermal baths and a health/sports center. The total water surface area is nearly 3000 m2. A multitude of attractions, large outdoor swimming pools with beaches, inside pools, whirpools, thermal pools and whirpools, slides, children atractions, spa, sauna and much more.
Chocholow is a treasure, a hidden one, since not as famous as Zakopane, but still offers definitely fantastic holiday opportunities for the whole family.
Photos: Communications-Unlimited.nl. All rights reserved.
On the way to Chochołowska Valley and Chochołowska Valley