On October 21 municipal elections were held in Georgia. Kakha Kaladze ( born 27 February 1978) an internationally well-known retired football star won the mayor elections in Tbilissi.
He was a candidate of the ruling Georgian Dream party. Kahka Kaladze has a substantial political experience.
Kaladze became involved in the politics of Georgia as a member of the opposition Georgian Dream-Democratic Georgia party which was founded by Bidzina Ivanishvili in 2012. He was elected to the Georgian parliament. He became Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Energy in Ivanishvili’s cabinet in 2012. He kept these positions under the cabinet of Giorgi Kvirikashvili until July 2017 when he resigned to run for the post of Mayor of Tbilissi.
His top campaign promises were:
• Developing public transport, including new metro lines
• Protecting the environment
• Protecting the historic part of Tbilisi
• Regulating parking
• Regulating traffic issues
• Solving of social problems
He will take on his responsibilities as mayor mid November.
Results of elections:
• Kakha Kaladze – Georgian Dream-Democratic Georgia – 54.00%
• Zaal Udumashvili – United National Movement – 15.00%
• Aleko Elisashvili – Independent candidate – 14.00%
• Elene Khoshtaria – Election bloc Bakradze, Ugulava – European Georgia – 7.00%
Source: Agenda.ge, Wikipedia